|Key People||Alexander Ivanov, Founder|
|Products||Smart Contract Platform; Cryptowallets|
Waves is the name for both the company (Waves Platform) and its blockchain as well as for the token associated with its operation (WAVES). In December 2018 WAVES was the 26th most actively traded cryptocurrency according to CoinMarketCap, an industry data aggregator. In late December 2020, WAVES was the 41st largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization according to CoinMarketCap.
Russian press reported in July 2017 that the Moscow Exchange's central depository was partnering with Waves Platform to design a blockchain for digital assets. The proposed platform would enable the depository to provide cryptocurrency support services.
On September 13, 2018, a state-owned Russian conglomerate, Rostec, announced that it would use the Waves Platform to manage data from its 700-company holdings.
After about two years of operation the company's decentralized exchange (DEX), Waves.DEX, was shut down in December 2019 by Waves. It had apparently transitioned into a hybrid DEX as its press release discussed transferring customer funds held at the DEX. (A necessary condition for being a true DEX is that the platform does not hold deposits of customer funds.) Waves provided for transferring customer deposits to its cryptocurrency trading platform, Waves.exchange.
- Monthly Volume Rankings (Currency). CoinMarketCap.
- Today's Cryptocurrency Prices by Market Cap. CoinMarketCap.
- Russia Signals Willingness To Professionalize Crypto Currency Trading On Exchange. Forbes.
- Manufacturing Giant Rostec to Manage Data on Waves Blockchain Platform. Coindesk.
- New addition to Waves econsystem, Vostok, secures $120 million in investment. CryptoNinjas.
- Waves Platform Raises $120 Million for Private Blockchain. Bloomberg.
- Waves DEX Shuts Down and Relaunches as Hybrid Cryptocurrency Exchange. CoinTelegraph.