|Key People||Jerry Brito, executive director; Robin Weisman, senior policy counsel; Peter Van Valkenburgh, research director; Antonie Hodge, operations director; Neeraj Agrawal, communications director; Elizabeth Stark, fellow|
|Website||Coin Center Home|
|Blog||Coin Center blog|
Coin Center is a non-profit research and advocacy organization for cryptocurrency, blockchain technology, and DeFi. Coin Center does this by publishing policy research and academic papers about digital asset and DeFi technology, such as "The Case for Electronic Cash" by the organization's Executive Director Jerry Brito. It also advocates for legislation that, in its words, "preserves the freedom to innovate using permissionless blockchain technologies."
Coin Center's board of directors includes various entrepreneurs, tech experts, academics, and executives from the cryptocurrency space, as does its advisory board, which also includes legal experts like Jason Weinstein, partner at Steptoe & Johnson LLP. Its fellows include Elizabeth Stark, chief executive officer and co-founder of the Lightning Network.
The cryptocurrency exchange Kraken made a $1 million donation to Coin Center in 2018, offering to match donations to Coin Center up to $1 million. Coin Center was able to raise $3 million in 2018 because of this. Beginning in December 2020 and through early 2021, a number of high-profile figures and companies once again began donating to Coin Center. The organization began crowdsourcing donations online in December, later receiving boosts from digital asset trust fund manager Grayscale Investments, which announced a campaign to match donations to the non-profit up to $1 million through the end of February 2021, citing Kraken's donations in 2018. Later, Coin Center received a $1 million donation from Twitter founder Jack Dorsey - who publicly commended Coin Center's Executive Director Jerry Brito for the organization's "incredible work" - as well as Kraken.
- Jerry Brito, Executive Director
- Robin Weisman, Senior Policy Counsel
- Peter Van Valkenburgh, Research Director
- Antonie Hodge, Operations Director
- Neeraj Agrawal, Communications Director
- Elizabeth Stark, Fellow
- About Us. Coin Center.
- Twitter CEO Donates $1M to Coin Centers. Coindesk.
- Grayscale Investments Donates $1 Million to Coin Center and Pledges to Match Donations Up to an Additional $1 Million. Globe Newswire (press release).
- Coin Center has received and incredibly generous gift of $1 million from @jack — we’re speechless. We were almost to our goal for the matching campaign when he put us over the top and then some. Your confidence in our work is incredibly humbling.. Twitter.
- Following Grayscale's contribution, Kraken donates $100K to Coin Center. Cointelegraph.