|Location||San Francisco Bay Area|
Dorsey told attendees at the Consensus blockchain conference in May 2018 that he believes the Internet will one day have a native currency. He said he is not certain which currency it will be, but hopes it turns out to be bitcoin. He repeated this sentiment in an interview on the podcast, "The Joe Rogan Experience" in February 2019. Dorsey has also said that he is interested in integrating bitcoin as a payment option for Square.
In March 2018, Dorsey, along with several investors including Litecoin creator Charlie Lee, donated a total of $2.5 million to Lightning Labs in order to develop the Lightning Network, a scaling solution for bitcoin.
In February 2019, Dorsey responded to Twitter user @ThomsonCrypto's question, "which coins/tokons you holding??" Dorsey replied, "I only have bitcoin." When asked how many coins he possessed, he said, "enough." He has also said that he is a fan of bitcoin because it is "resilient, principled, native to Internet ideals, and because it's a great brand." In March 2019, Dorsey said on the podcast Tales from the Crypt that he had been buying so much bitcoin on Square's Cash App that he had been maxing out the app's weekly limits of $10,000.
In an interview with Quartz in June 2019, Dorsey reiterated the need for a global digital currency. When asked about Facebook's cryptocurrency product, Dorsey said, "I don’t know what they’re building and I don’t know the details. I’d have to see that to have an informed decision. But I would go back to, we need a currency for the internet. And the internet being an entity that isn’t controlled by any company or any one government, that is for the world and for the people of the world." He said that he thinks that bitcoin is still "quite powerful," and that he had not seen any other currency that could challenge it in ways that he thought were important. He also said that despite this, he does not believe that physical currency will never be phased out.
Cryptocurrency development team
In March 2019, Dorsey announced that Square was in the process of hiring up to five developers for a group to develop "open source contributions to bitcoin and [the] crypto ecosystem." These positions are all full-time, and the project will be based in Square's San Francisco offices. Reportedly, this team will have the option to be paid in bitcoin.
In May 2019, Dorsey announced over Twitter that Square was close to hiring three or four bitcoin and cryptocurrency engineers, as well as one designer, to work on "open source contributions to the bitcoin and crypto ecosystem."
- Jack Dorsey Is All In on Bitcoin as the Currency of the Future. Bloomberg.
- Leadership. Square.
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Hopes Bitcoin Will Become the Internet's Own Currency. Fortune.
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Has Made A Bold Prediction About Bitcoin. Forbes.
- Jack Dorsey Hopes Bitcoin Will Become Web's 'Native Currency'. Coindesk.
- Lightning Labs just raised millions from Jack Dorsey and others to supercharge blockchain transactions. TechCrunch.
- Jack Dorsey is among backers of blockchain start-up Lightning Labs. CNBC.
- Twitter's Jack Dorsey Says the Only Crypto He's Holding Is Bitcoin. Bloomberg.
- Tech billionaire Jack Dorsey just bought $10,000 worth of Bitcoin. Decrypt.
- Jack Dorsey says now is our chance to build a global currency for the internet. Quartz.
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Launches Open-Source Bitcoin Dev Team. Finance Magnates.
- Twitter's Jack Dorsey And Square Are Making Mass Bitcoin Adoption 'Inevitable'. Forbes.