|Key People||Chris Lee, CFO|
Huobi, headquartered in Singapore, is the cryptocurrency conglomerate that operates Huobi US, Huobi Australia and Huobi Global, the world's 15th-largest cryptocurrency trading platform by trade volume according to CryptoCompare, an online data aggregator and reporting service.
Huobi was one of the three early Chinese exchanges that at one time together accounted for 90 percent or more of global bitcoin volume. As the legal conditions for trading bitcoin in China became less amenable, Huobi launched a new brand called "Huobi Pro" from its new headquarters in Singapore. On May 21, 2018, Huobi Pro was rolled out to the European and Asian markets. In July 2018 Huobi announced that it would accept customers from the U.S. on its "strategic partner" platform owned by a subsidiary, HBUS.
Huobi was branding all of its trading platforms as "Huobi Global" and said that it offered services to customers in 130 countries by December 2018.
In the first transaction granting full ownership of a regulated cryptocurrency exchange to a non-Japanese person, Singaporean entrepreneur and investor Eric Cheng announced on May 30, 2018, that his Upper Joy Limited had purchased 100 percent of the shares of BitTrade Co., Ltd., one of 16 cryptocurrency exchanges licensed by the Japanese Financial Services Agency. The deal worth about $50 million included BitTrade's affiliate, FX Trade Financial Co., Ltd. On September 12, 2018, Huobi announced that its subsidiary, Huobi Japan Holding Ltd, had acquired 60% of BitTrade with an eye toward expansion into Japan. BitTrade told its customers in early December 2018 that it shortly would re-launch its trading under the Huobi name.
Products and services
Huobi offers a number of different markets, including an OTC market priced in Chinese yuan, cryptocurrency-to-cryptocurrency trading and margin trading. Huobi's most actively traded pairs on its spot markets are bitcoin or another cryptocurrency against U.S. dollar Tether according to CoinMarketCap, an online data reporting service.
Huobi Cloud will rely on Huobi's existing digital asset exchange platforms to provide its partners tools for setting up their own OTC and currency exchange platforms.
Huobi announced the launch of its derivatives market, Huobi DM, at a developers conference in New York on November 28, 2018. The contracts were to have weekly, monthly and quarterly settlements and will offer varying degrees of leverage.
Listing ten cryptocurrencies pairs, Huobi Australia launched trading on July 5, 2018. On February 24, 2019, the company announced via Twitter that it had suspended operations in Australia and was consolidating its Australian business within Huobi Global. In its Facebook post Huobi Australia cited poor market conditions as the reason.
On November 2, 2018, Huobi introduced "HUSD" which was a portmanteau for four stablecoins supported by Huobi: Paxos Standard (PAX), TrueUSD (TUSD). USDCoin (USDC) and Gemini Dollars (GUSD). The HUSD was to be tradable against Tether (USDT) on Huobi Global. Deposits of any of the four stablecoins were reported as HUSD.
In July 2019, Huobi announced that it was changing the HUSD by replacing it with an ERC-20 token. The new token will be called HUSD but will be issued by Stable Universal Limited, a partially owned subsidiary of Huobi. The new token will be deposited with Paxos Trust Company which is licensed by the New York Department of Financial Services.
- Chris Lee
- Exchanges. CryptoCompare.
- Bitcoin Regulation In China Still Unclear, But Chinese Exchanges Thrive Overseas. Forbes.
- Homepage. Huobi.
- Crypto Exchange Huobi Opens Registration on New US-Based 'Strategic Partner' Platform. Cointelegraph.
- Houbi Global Website. Huobi.
- Singapore entrepreneur Eric Cheng buys Japanese-licensed FX and cryptocurrency exchange for S$67 million. Asia One.
- Global crypto giant Huobi acquires majority stake in Singaporean entrepreneur Eric Cheng's Japanese-licensed cryptocurrency exchange BitTrade. Markets Insider.
- Huobi Eyes Japan Expansion With Acquisition of Licensed Crypto Exchange. Coindesk.
- Japanese Crypto Exchange BitTrade to Relaunch Under Huobi. Finance Magnates.
- Huobi Global. CoinMarketCap.
- Huobi Launches Service to Build Crypto Exchanges in the Cloud. Forbes.
- Official launch of Huobi Cloud. Joining hands with the world’s top partners to develop the Blockchain industry. Huobi Global.
- HUOBI DEBUTS CRYPTOCURRENCY DERIVATIVES MARKET PLATFORM. Bitcoinist.
- Huobi Launches Australian Exchange Ahead of Blockchain Investment Plans. CoinTelegraph.
- @HuobiAustralia. Twitter.
- HuobiAu. Facebook.
- Announcement on the Launch of HUSD solution on Huobi Global. Huobi Global.
- Huobi Revamps HUSD Stablecoin to Help Power ‘Fiat On-Ramp’. CoinDesk.