|Founded||1998, through merger of DTB and SOFFEX|
|Key People||Thomas Book, CEO|
|Products||Euro-denominated interest rate and equity futures and options|
Eurex is one of the largest derivatives exchanges in the world by traded volume. It dominates trading and clearing of euro-denominated futures and options. Eurex is a fully owned subsidiary of Deutsche Boerse AG, by far the largest equity and derivatives trading, clearing and settlement institution in continental Europe.
Full Page on MarketsWiki
On December 14, 2017, shortly after the launch of the bitcoin futures contract on Cboe and before the launch of bitcoin futures on CME Group, Eurex confirmed that it was looking into the possibility of launching its own futures contract. In March of 2018, Jeffrey Tessler, then deputy CEO of Eurex's parent company, Deutsche Boerse, said about their approach to bitcoin products, “Before my area moves into a field that is so volatile, we have to be sure that we understand all the characteristics that move those products.” Tessler said there was a group working on blockchain products and services. Bloomberg reported on May 23, 2018 that Tessler had told attendees at a conference that they were working on bitcoin futures.
On February 21, 2019, The Block reported that, according to people familiar with the matter, Eurex was "imminently" poised to launch futures contracts tied to bitcoin (BTC), as well as Ether (ETH) and XRP. Thomas Book confirmed to attendees at the exchange leaders panel at the FIA's Annual Futures Industry Conference in Boca Raton, Florida, in mid March 2019 that Eurex would soon launch futures on BTC, ETH and XRP.
- Bitcoin futures could reportedly be coming to Germany soon. CNBC.
- Deutsche Börse cautious on Bitcoin and big mergers, but ready for new ventures. Handelsblatt Global.
- Deutsche Boerse’s Tessler Says ‘Deep at Work’ on Bitcoin. Bloomberg.
- A European exchange giant is gearing up to jump on the crypto futures bandwagon. The Block.
- Report: Major European Derivatives Exchange to Launch Cryptocurrency Futures. Cointelegraph.
- Boca Bits — FIA Boca 2019 Day Two. Medium.