|Key People||Tom Chippas, CEO; Matt Trudeau, Chief Operating Officer|
|Products||Cryptocurrency futures and spot trading markets|
ErisX is the successor to Eris Exchange, a designated contract market that listed interest rate swap futures products. ErisX plans on trading and clearing cryptocurrency futures contracts, as well as the spot trading in cryptocurrencies it already offers (which launched in April 2019). Its investors include DRW Venture Capital, Valor Equity Partners, TD Ameritrade, Virtu Financial, NEX Opportunities, Cboe Global Markets, CTC Group Investments, Digital Currency Group, Nico Trading, Pantera Capital, Third Stone Partners, CMT Digital, Susquehanna International Group, XR Trading, C2 Capital Management and ED&F Man Capital Markets Inc.
ErisX's goal is to bring digital currencies closer to traditional asset classes by appealing to brokers, including some used by millions of small retail investors. 
On October 3, 2018, ErisX announced its formation as the successor to Eris Exchange, a designated contract market that listed interest rate swap futures products. The company said it planned to trade and clear cryptocurrency futures contracts at some point. The exchange also said that it would offer spot trading. According to ErisX, its investors include DRW Venture Capital, Valor Equity Partners, TD Ameritrade, Virtu Financial, NEX Opportunities, Cboe Global Markets, CTC Group Investments, Digital Currency Group, Nico Trading, Pantera Capital, Third Stone Partners, CMT Digital, Susquehanna International Group, XR Trading, C2 Capital Management and ED&F Man Capital Markets Inc.
Following quickly on the closing of its first round of financing, ErisX announced on December 4, 2018, that it had closed a second funding round of $27.5 million with backing from new investors, Bitmain, ConsenSys, Fidelity Investments, Nasdaq Ventures and TradeStation Securities’ parent company, Monex Group Inc. Some investors from the earlier funding round also participated in this funding. According to The Block Crypto, by the time ErisX launched its Ether futures in May 2020, it had received $47.5 million in funding.
In August 2020, ErisX announced it was chosen to participate in a pilot program by the State of Hawaii’s Digital Currency Innovation Lab (DCIL) to provide residents of Hawaii with access to a U.S.-based spot market as well as futures markets for cryptocurrencies. ErisX was one of 12 digital currency businesses allowed to do business in Hawaii without obtaining a state money transmitter license under the terms of the two-year program.
Spot trading launch
ErisX announced on April 30, 2019, that it had closed another $20 million in funding from investors and that it was launching its spot market as well as related clearing services that day. Its initial cryptocurrencies are bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, and Ethereum traded against the U.S. dollar and against each other. In an interview with CoinDesk, Chief Strategy Officer Matt Trudeau said that ErisX continues to build out its technology, raise funds, and apply for futures and futures clearing licenses.
The U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) licensed ErisX Clearing LLC, a fully owned affiliate, as a derivatives clearing organization (DCO) on July 1, 2019. ErisX provided no launch date for futures trading and clearing. The approval does not permit ErisX Clearing to clear FCM-carried business. In a blog post in October 2019, ErisX CEO Thomas Chippas said that, pending regulatory review, ErisX hopes to launch new digital asset futures products by the end of 2019.
ErisX notified its participants on December 16, 2019, that it would begin trading bitcoin futures the next day, December 17. The exchange had certified its futures contract design as complying the CFTC's regulations with the agency in October. According to the document filed at that time, ErisX futures call for final delivery of one-tenth of one bitcoin by the seller to the buyer. The exchange further said that it would list daily, weekly and monthly expirations. The contracts call for full pre-funding of the total contract values and for delivery directly into and out of participants' accounts at the clearing house. Volume on the first and second days of trading was one contract each day. At the end of trading on the second day, there was no open interest in the contract.
On May 11, 2020, the exchange announced that it was immediately commencing trading in physically deliverable Ether futures contracts. They are the first Ether derivatives contracts to be listed on a U.S. exchange. The exchange's Ether contracts, one of which is priced in U.S. dollars per Ether and the other of which is priced in bitcoin, call for delivery of one Ether. Contracts are listed for monthly and quarterly settlements. The minimum block size for the Ether contracts is 50 contracts.
On May 11, 2020 John Lothian, executive chairman and CEO of John Lothian News, spoke with ErisX CEO Thomas Chippas and ConsenSys Founder and CEO Joseph Lubin about the launch of Ether futures. The recording is available here.
Partnership with Fidelity
In April 2020, ErisX announced a partnership with Fidelity Digital Assets designed to facilitate access to ErisX's cryptocurrency spot market for Fidelity's investors.
- Thomas Chippas, CEO
- Matt Trudeau, COO
- Robert Thrash
- TD Ameritrade and High-Speed Traders Back New Crypto Exchange. The Wall Street Journal.
- ErisX Announces New Exchange for Digital Asset Investors and Traders. ErisX press release via Businesswire.
- Fidelity, Bitmain and More Invest $27 Million in Crypto Trading Platform ErisX. Coindesk.
- Crypto exchange ErisX announces launch of physically settled ETH futures. The Block Crypto.
- ErisX Announces Membership to Chamber of Digital Commerce. Businesswire.
- ErisX Selected to Participate in Hawaii's Digital Currency Innovation Labl Pilot Program. Medium.
- ErisX Launches Crypto Spot Market on Heels of New $20 Million Raise. CoinDesk.
- TD Ameritrade-Backed ErisX Gets Green Light to Settle Futures in Bitcoin. CoinDesk.
- FIS Back-Office Services Integrate ErisX Digital Asset Futures Contracts into Institutional Workflow. ErisX Insights Blog.
- Market Notice. ErisX.
- CFTC Regulation 40.2(a) Certification. Notification Regarding the Initial Listing of Eris Exchange Physically Delivered Bitcoin Futures (Eris Exchange Submission #2019-01). Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
- Futures Volume and Open Interest. ErisX.
- ErisX Pioneers First U.S. Based Ether Futures Contract. Business Wire.
- Current Futures Products. ErisX.
- Amendments to Eris Exchange Rule 601 (Block Trades) and Establishment of Block Trade Size for Ether Futures (Eris Exchange, LLC Submission #2020-05E). ErisX.
- ErisX Advances Strategic Relationship with Fidelity to Expand Access to Digital Assets. BusinessWire.