Digital Asset Markup Language (DAML)
Digital Asset Modeling Language ("DAML") is a computer language designed for modeling agreements between financial institutions and their customers. It was developed by a technology firm called Elevence and was published by Digital Asset after it acquired Elevence. DAML was designed specifically for use in multi-party smart contracts.
Shortly after acquiring Elevence in February, 2016 Digital Asset said on August 22, 2016, that it intended to provide the software under open source legal arrangments. It noted on its website that Digital Asset was continuing to test and stabilize the language before releasing it to the public. Then, on April 4, 2019, Digital Asset announced that the language was available under open source licensing.
In early April 2019, Digital Asset announced that it was collaborating with the International Swaps and Derivatives Association ("ISDA") to support the ISDA common domain model's adoption by providing a smart contract language, DAML. The company said that collaboration was intended to produce open source library and reference app
Digital Asset announced on April 11, 2019, that it was partnering with VMware, a NYSE-listed software development and consulting firm, to deploy DAML in the first instance of compatibility with a third-party blockchain.
On April 16, Digital Asset announced that it will integrate DAML into Hyperledger's Sawtooth, the first use of DAML by the Hyperledger consortium. Sawtooth is the second enterprise-ready blockchain platform to be made available by Hyperledger.
- Digital Asset to Open Source Smart Contract Language. CoinDesk.
- Update on Open-Sourcing Plans for Digital Asset Modeling Language (DAML). Digital Asset.
- Digital Asset Open Sources its Smart Contract Language, DAML, to Enable Integration with Other Platforms. Digital Asset.
- Digital Asset partners with ISDA to support adoption of CDM. The Trade.
- DAML + VMware. Digital Asset.
- Digital Asset’s Smart Contract Language Now Works on Hyperledger Blockchains. CoinDesk.
- Hyperledger Sawtooth Is Ready for Business Use. CoinDesk.