|Circle Internet Financial|
|Key People||Jeremy Allaire and Sean Neville, Co-Founders|
Circle Internet Financial was launched in October 2013 with $9 million in investments. In late April 2015, Goldman Sachs announced that along with IDG Capital Partners it was planning to lead a $50 million financing round into Circle.
In late February 2018 Circle announced that it was purchasing Poloniex, one of the largest cryptocurrency markets at the time. According to CoinMarketCap, an online industry data reporting service, as of March 5, 2019, Poloniex was the 77th largest cryptocurrency exchange in the world, the fifth largest U.S.-based exchange behind Kraken (42), Coinbase Pro (43), Bittrex (51), and Gemini (73).
Bloomberg reported in June that Circle was planning to apply for both banking and securities licenses so its customers could deposit insurable funds with it and trade cryptocurrencies that might be deemed to be securities under U.S. regulations.
In February 2019, The Block reported that private shares of Circle were being offered at a massive discount on SharesPost, a platform] for accredited investors to exchange shares of private companies (the discounted shares were being sold at $3.80, while shares of Circle at the time of its Series E fundraise in May 2018 were being sold at $16.23). This implied a significant disparity in the company's total valuation ($3.01 billion vs. $705 million), depending on the number of shares that were being sold at the discounted price. The story said it was unclear how many shares were being offered at this price.
In October 2018, Circle co-founders Jeremy Allaire and Sean Neville announced that Circle would acquire crowdfunding Internet platform, SeedInvest, which also included a registered brokder Dealer, SI Securities. According to the co-foundrs, "The SeedInvest product includes many of the end-to-end capabilities needed for executing regulated crowdfunding, including startup due diligence, securities issuance, investor accreditation, payments and securities custody, as well as a broad range of innovative tools for startups to market their crowdfunding offerings online in a compliant fashion. With the merger and approval from key regulators, these capabilities will be expanded to support crypto-denominated investments including using fiat stablecoins such as USDC, as well as issuing and offering tokenized securities."
On April 26, 2019, Circle and SeedInvest revealed in a blogpost that SeedInvest had been approved by Finra to operate an ATS which will let it trade equities.
In September 2018, Circle launched the Centre Consortium to develop and launch a new stablecoin tied to the U.S. dollar. The company was joined by the U.S.-based exchange Coinbase in October 2018.
On January 17, 2019, the Centre Consortium published an attestation provided by the independent accounting firm Grant Thornton to Circle that there were $251,211,209 held by Circle in custody accounts against the total issuance of 251,211,148 USDC.
John Lothian News
Circle was highlighted in a recap of Consensus 2018 by CMW contributing editor Chuck Mackie. You can read the article here.
- Circle Raises $9M Series A From Accel And General Catalyst To Make Bitcoins Mainstream. TechCrunch.
- Goldman and IDG Put $50 Million to Work in a Bitcoin Company. New York Times.
- Goldman-backed startup Circle buys Poloniex cryptocurrency exchange. Reuters.
- Top 100 Cryptocurrency Exchanges by Trade Volume. CoinMarketCap.
- Crypto Unicorn Circle Aims to Expand Into Regulated Banking. Bloomberg.
- ‘Prop firms are hard to sell:’ Shares for crypto exchange Circle are being offered at a massive discount. The Block.
- Circle announces acquisition of broker-dealer and leading equity crowdfunding platform SeedInvest. Circle.
- Circle Closes Acquisition of SeedInvest, Another Step Towards the Democratization of Finance. Circle.
- Circle’s SeedInvest Takes Step Toward Tokenizing Stocks With Trading License. CoinDesk.
- Cryptocurrency giants Coinbase and Circle form joint venture to boost adoption of dollar-backed digital coins. CNBC.
- USD Coin Arrives: Circle’s Crypto Stablecoin Is Now Trading. Coindesk.
- Independent Accountant Report. Centre.
- Circle Expands USDC Ecosystem to Over 100 Partners. FinanceMagnates.