|Circle Internet Financial|
|Key People||Jeremy Allaire and Sean Neville|
Circle Internet Financial was launched in October 2013 with $9 million in investments. In late April 2015, Goldman Sachs announced that along with IDG Capital Partners it was planning to lead a $50 million financing round into Circle.
In late February 2018 Circle announced that it was purchasing Poloniex, one of the largest cryptocurrency markets at the time. Bloomberg reported in June that Circle was planning to apply for both banking and securities licenses so its customers could deposit insurable funds with it and trade cryptocurrencies that might be deemed to be securities under U.S. regulations.
In September 2018, Circle launched the Centre Consortium to develop and launch a new stablecoin tied to the U.S. dollar. The company was joined by the U.S.-based exchange Coinbase in October 2018.
John Lothian News
Circle was highlighted in a recap of Consensus 2018 by CMW contributing editor Chuck Mackie. You can read the article here.
- Circle Raises $9M Series A From Accel And General Catalyst To Make Bitcoins Mainstream. TechCrunch.
- Goldman and IDG Put $50 Million to Work in a Bitcoin Company. New York Times.
- Goldman-backed startup Circle buys Poloniex cryptocurrency exchange. Reuters.
- Crypto Unicorn Circle Aims to Expand Into Regulated Banking. Bloomberg.
- Cryptocurrency giants Coinbase and Circle form joint venture to boost adoption of dollar-backed digital coins. CNBC.
- USD Coin Arrives: Circle’s Crypto Stablecoin Is Now Trading. Coindesk.
- Circle Expands USDC Ecosystem to Over 100 Partners. FinanceMagnates.