|Chicago Board Options Exchange|
|Founded||Apr. 26, 1973|
|Headquarters||400 S. LaSalle Street, Chicago, IL 60605|
|Key People||Edward T. Tilly, CEO; Edward L. Provost, President and COO|
|Products||Cboe Futures Exchange; options on equities, equity indexes, ETFs|
The Chicago Board Options Exchange, or Cboe, was the first U.S. options exchange to offer standardized, listed options. It was also the first exchange in the traditional financial space to offer bitcoin futures, using the symbol XBT.
Cryptocurrency futures trading
Cboe as a company has been a leading proponent of institutional-level cryptocurrency futures trading since 2017. In the summer of 2017, Cboe entered into an agreement with Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss (aka the Winklevoss twins) to use bitcoin market data generated by their virtual-currency exchange Gemini, paving the way for Cboe to list derivatives on bitcoin on the Cboe Futures Exchange. With each contract representing the value of one bitcoin, Cboe launched the first bitcoin futures on December 10, 2017, trading a reported 4,127 contracts in their first day of trading, with nearly 20 trading firms participating. Cboe waived transaction fees on XBT throughout that month.
The Cboe Futures Exchange (CFE) announced March 14, 2019 that it would put its bitcoin futures on hold and would not be listing new XBT futures months beyond June 2019, while it considered its next steps for supporting digital asset derivatives trading. On the day of the announcement, CFE traded 2,089 contracts.
On January 23, 2019, the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) announced that Cboe had withdrawn its proposal for a rule change that would have allowed it to list and trade shares of a bitcoin ETF - specifically, the VanEck SolidX Bitcoin Trust. Cboe said in an email statement that the plan was related to the effects of the U.S. government shutdown occurring at the time. Cboe also said that the company planned on refiling a similar proposal at a later date with the SEC.
A week later, on January 31, VanEck digital asset strategy director Gabor Gurbacs announced that the firm, as well as Cboe and SolidX, had re-filed the request with the SEC.
Full page on MarketsWiki
- CBOE Teams Up With Winklevoss Twins for Bitcoin Data. The Wall Street Journal.
- Cboe bitcoin futures post strong debut. Cboe.
- Cboe Bitcoin Futures (XBT) Close First Day of Trading; Post Volume of More Than 4,000 Contracts. Cboe.
- Cboe Exchange Puts Brakes on Bitcoin Futures Listing. Coindesk.
- ‘No Change’ to Bitcoin Futures Plans, CME Says, as Cboe Pulls Back. CoinDesk.
- Cboe’s Bitcoin ETF Application Pulled After Repeated SEC Delays. Bloomberg.
- SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION (Release No. 34-84988 ; File No. SR-CboeBZX-2018-040). SEC.
- CBOE Re-Applies With US SEC to List Bitcoin Exchange-Traded Fund. Cointelegraph via Yahoo Finance.