CME Group, Inc.
|CME Group, Inc.|
|Founded||July 12, 2007 (through Chicago Mercantile Exchange Holdings and CBOT Holdings merger)|
|Headquarters||Headquarters: 20 South Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60606 (plus other CME Group offices domestic and international)|
|Key People||Terrence A. Duffy, Chairman and CEO; Bryan Durkin, President|
|Products||Interest rate, equity index, foreign currency, commodity futures and options and alternative investments (e.g. weather, real estate)|
CME Group, Inc., based in Chicago, is the world's largest derivatives exchange, offering a broad array of derivatives contracts, clearing services, market data and indexes products. The publicly traded company had a market cap of $54 billion, as of March 2018.
CME Group launched a bitcoin futures contract on December 18, 2017, trading on the Globex platform and cleared via ClearPort. The futures are cash-settled and based on the CME CF Bitcoin Reference Rate, a once-a-day reference rate of the U.S. dollar price of bitcoin. CME and Crypto Facilities have calculated and published the BRR since November 2016.
CME Group partnered with Crypto Facilities Ltd in May of 2018 to launch the CME CF Ether-Dollar Reference Rate, which provides a daily benchmark price in U.S. dollars at 4 p.m. London time, and CME CF Ether-Dollar Real-Time Index, which allows users access to a real-time Ether price in U.S. dollars.
In February 2019, the CME Group announced that in the first quarter of 2019, it set a new record for total bitcoin futures contracts traded. The record high for total contracts traded in Q1 of 2019 was 18,338 contracts as of February 19th, the equivalent of 91,960 BTC or $360 million based on the price of bitcoin at the time. The previous record was set on November 20, 2018. On April 4, 2018, the CME Group Tweeted that the firm had experienced a "record trading day" on bitcoin futures; according to a chart accompanying the Tweet, 22,542 bitcoin futures had traded on April 4 alone, which is equivalent to 112,710 bitcoins.
- CME Group Inc.. Yahoo Finance.
- CME Group Self-Certifies Bitcoin Futures to Launch Dec. 18. CME Group.
- CME Group and Crypto Facilities Launch Ether Reference Rate and Ether Real-Time Index. CME Group.
- CME’s bitcoin futures are off to a record-breaking start this year. The Block.
- CME Group reports “record trading day” on bitcoin futures. The Block.
- CME Bitcoin futures had a record trading day on April 4, hitting an all-time high volume of over 22.5K contracts (112.7K equivalent bitcoin), surpassing previous record of over 18.3K (64.3K equivalent bitcoin) on February 19. More #Bitcoin futures. $BTC_F http://spr.ly/6012EbNBp. Twitter.