|Headquarters||Virginia Beach, VA|
|Key People||Fred Grede, CEO; Thomas Flake, Founder; Tom Hammond, Chairman of the Board; Scott Early, Director|
Bcause, LLC is a cryptocurrency startup headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia. It offers cryptocurrency "farming" services, acting as a data center for bitcoin and other miners. It has also applied to be a Designated Contract Market (DCM) to trade futures and options on cryptocurrencies.
Based in Virginia Beach, VA, and Chicago, IL, Bcause was originally planned as a platform to offer bitcoin options as a hedging tool. Later, the founders identified potentially profitable opportunities in providing infrastructure and services for bitcoin mining as well as offering logistical and support services to both retail and institutional bitcoin miners at its data center. By February 2018, Bcause was running thousands of mining rigs for clients in Asia and the U.S. in an old beverage warehouse in Virginia Beach. 
Bcause applied to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission in September 2016 for registration as a designated contract market to trade bitcoin futures. As of May 2018, the application was pending approval. 
Bcause was one of 20 companies chosen to exhibit in the Innovators Pavilion at the 33rd Annual FIA Expo in Chicago in 2017. The Innovators Pavilion showcased startup companies providing forward-thinking solutions for the futures, options and cleared swaps industry.
Nasdaq and Bcause announced on March 13, 2019, that Bcause would use Nasdaq’s matching engine, clearing and market surveillance tools through the Nasdaq Financial Framework platform to operate a spot cryptocurrency market. Bcause planned to launch its spot market within the next few months.
Bcause filed for bankruptcy in April 2019. Despite this, the company told Coindesk in early May that it planned on tentatively launching cryptocurrency spot trading services on May 23, 2019.
Bcause announced that it had closed Series A funding from SBI Holdings in October of 2017, and SBI took a 40 percent stake in the company.
In October 2018 Bcause announced that China Health Checkmate, an investment group managing family office assets and Asian-Pacific institutional funds, had agreed to be a "substantial" equity holder to help Bcause open its exchange and work on an Asia initiative to create new exchanges and asset-backed payment products.
Virginia Beach granted Bcause $500,000, based on the company spending at least $64.8 million in capital investment at its 84,000-square-foot rented space at 5465 Greenwich Road.
Bcause Mining, LLC, the mining affiliate operating in Virginia Beach, Virginia, filed voluntarily for bankruptcy court protection on April 11, 2019 in order to reorganize its debts. Unsecured creditors included a Virginia power company ($1,459,267.38) and the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol ($737,041.90).
Products and Services
- Bitcoin Mining
- Spot Trading - bcause plans to offer cryptocurrency exchange for Fiat currency and U.S. Dollars by May of 2018.
- Frederick J. Grede, Chief Executive Officer
- Tom Hammond, Chairman of the Board
- Scott Early, Director
- William Boyk, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Regulatory Officer
- Mike Adolphi, Chief Technology Officer
- Thomas Flake, Founder and Chief Marketing Officer
- ABOUT THE COMPANY. Bcause.
- BCause LLC Selects Connamara Systems as Technology Platform for new Bitcoin Exchange. Bob's Guide.
- The Rise of Bitcoin Factories: Mining for the Masses. Wall Street Journal.
- Trading Organization Associated Documents. CFTC.
- Trading Organizations - Designated Contract Markets (DCM). CFTC.
- bcause chosen for the FIA Expo. bcause.
- Nasdaq Licenses Tech to a ‘One-Stop Shop’ for Crypto Trading and Mining. CoinDesk.
- ‘One-Stop Shop’ for Crypto Mining and Trading to Launch Spot Market May 23. CoinDesk.
- SBI Holdings acquires 40% stake in bitcoin options firm Bcause LLC. bcause and SBI.
- BCause LLC Form D. U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- China Health Checkmate Commits to Initial Series B Funding for Bcause LLC. Press Release.
- Bitcoin Mining Firm Bcause Raises $5 Million As Cryptocurrency Recovers From Recent Lows. Crunchbase News.
- Virginia Beach bitcoin mining company that won $500,000 city grant files for bankruptcy. The Virginian-Pilot.
- Mining company files bankruptcy and reveals interesting debtors. The Block.